Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sports Geek calls out Sports Guy

My favorite columnist on ESPN, Bill Simmons, has recently wrote a column dedicated to swaying his daughter from ever liking the Lakers. Although I understand he is a Clippers/Celtics fan I'm still upset he is brainwashing.

Don't get me wrong, the column is hilarious and his ideas of how to make his daughter hate the Lakers are genius, but let her make her own decision. If she likes the Lakers sobeit. My dad is a huge 49ers fan and I immediately betrayed him when I started liking sports. I went for the 49ers' rival for that season, the Carolina Panthers.

In fact, I never picked any one of my dad's favorite teams except for BYU. As a Lakers' fan my dad feels that I am a lost soul because he is a Jazz fan. It's been this way for years, and even though Simmons says parents have ultimate control of brainwashing their kids if they really wanted to, I believe kids should pick their own teams. That's what I will do for my kids.

I will pull out a magazine and go to a page with all the teams and say, "Son, it's time for you to pick your favorite team." Then I will let him pick his team, and I will buy him stuff relating to that team.

This is assuming I have a son. If I have a daughter I may end up brainwashing her like Simmons for all the exact reasons Simmons put in his column.

No comments:

Post a Comment